27.5.11


kauf dich glucklich | berlin





Part of a string of mellow sidewalk cafés filled with vibrant crowds, this place would blend right in if it weren’t for the aroma of fresh homemade waffles. Yet I was led in confidence by my brother, who had been brought here before, by his good friend who had been studying in Berlin.  Lucky for me, the guy knows his way.  I’m always excited to find local hangouts, and more so when I can have waffles and ice cream to start off my day.  This is our first stop for food, before hitting the nearby flea market.  The outdoor seats are filled with fellow flea-market goers, a relaxed and cheerful weekend crowd.  Despite all signs pointing toward a good brunch, this place only serves waffles and ice cream with simple drinks.  But a specialized menu usually tells me how confident a place is at what’s left on the menu.  





Standing in the long line that snaked out of the entrance, I feel pressured to decide in time before I get to the counter.  But I attempted in vain, the entire menu was in German. 





A friendly staff behind the counter recommended homemade cherry sauce over the waffles, and I chose a scoop of cookies ‘n cream, a strange combination in hind thought, but the flavors worked beautifully.





The waffles here are square and falling off the plate, but they are delicious!  There is a large selection of homemade ice cream flavors, but the drink menu is a bit limited.  Apparently iced coffee here means hot coffee with a scoop of ice cream, so I went with a regular cup of brewed coffee instead.  You’ll be able to find European staples such as Ovaltine, a hot-chocolate-like drink made by adding hot water to its original powder form.  It is also a childhood favorite of mine, and of many who had grown up in Southeast Asia.  My grandpa would make it for me when I behaved, and he’d make a cup for himself to drink with me. 

























































This place took the down home spirit to extreme, with kitsch decor and tableware.  Eating here is like sitting at a friend’s living room or patio.


















No comments:

Post a Comment