30.3.11

baguette with tomato, basil + fresh mozzarella






















The best tasting food can be made in the simplest way with fresh ingredients.  I had heard this so many times from renowed chefs that I couldn’t remember whom I first heard it from, but I wasn’t exactly a believer until I tried this sandwich.  I like to make it when I’m working from home and crunching for a deadline.  It takes almost no time to assemble, and makes use of what most of us have at home: freshly-picked basil (from my dining table centerpiece) and heirloom tomatoes (from the fridge or my mom’s garden).  It seems redundant to write a recipe for this, since all of the ingredients and steps are evident.







to stack                    

ingredients:
makes 1 serving
    3 cuts fresh mozzarella, from buffalo or 
         cow’s milk, about 1/4” thick
    1 heirloom tomato, sliced
    3 leaves fresh basil
      baguette, about 7"
      salt and freshly ground black pepper


directions:






  1. Slice the baguette lengthwise in half.  Toast the bottom half.
  2. Layer the sandwich with mozzarella, basil, and tomato.  Toast the top half of baguette.
  3. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
  4. Optional: drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment